Monitoring internet usage is a popular issue for companies that use the internet irrespective of their size. There are various and valid reasons why a business should monitor internet usage. In this article we’ll discuss some of them and the benefits of doing so:
1. Security – Perhaps the most important reason for internet usage monitoring is to ensure data transferred to and from the internet does not contain malicious code or malware. This type of monitoring can protect your organization from potentially destructive malware infections and Trojan infections that could compromise the company’s intellectual property.
2. Productivity – While there are advantages in allowing people access to the internet, even if this means occasional periods of browsing for personal reasons, monitoring is essential to prevent excessive use by employees. Proper internet usage monitoring and control can work in an organization’s favor if usage is maintained at a level that promotes productivity, rather than a situation that results in multiple incidents of cyberslacking and unacceptable levels of internet usage.
3. Costs – Internet connectivity is not free; bandwidth costs money and there are additional costs if something goes wrong. If an organization monitors Internet usage these costs can be mitigated; proactively reducing unnecessary bandwidth usage and improve the security of internal networks.
4. Confidentiality – Giving employees access to use the internet also opens a door through which confidential information can be leaked, lost or stolen. Adequate monitoring of internet usage can prevent information theft – both intentional and accidental.
5. Legal Liability – There are many ways how an individual can use the internet to commit crime – from infringing on someone else’s intellectual property to actual hacking attempts. Monitor internet usage to prevent and identify such events as they occur and you’ll be able to stop them before they trigger a legal response.
6. Forensics – Monitoring also allows an organization to effectively investigate incidents. If an employee breaches company policy by engaging in prohibited internet activities, you will need the evidence to back up your position. If a workstation is compromised due to inappropriate internet usage, you will want to know what websites were accessed and led to that workstation being compromised. This information can be used to identify areas that needed increased security measures.
7. Reputation – Proper internet monitoring will help an organization to keep its reputation intact and prevent an employee’s actions from causing harm to the company through malware infections or illegal activity.
Each of the above points are strongly interlinked and together provide a robust and valid argument in favor of monitoring internet usage – each point merits equal attention and consideration. Monitor internet usage properly and efficiently to ensure your organization never suffers a fallout due to web threats. Prevention is always better then the cure.
This guest post was provided by Emmanuel Carabott on behalf of GFI Software Ltd. GFI is a leading software developer that provides a single source for network administrators to address their network security, content security and messaging needs. Read more on how to monitor internet usage.
All product and company names herein may be trademarks of their respective owners.
|Monitoring filters complexity|